Wednesday 30 January 2013

The End of an Era


So here I am… the last day of my volunteer life.  I can’t believe I’m actually finishing today (well officially on Friday but… small details lol).  I’m just completely in shock.  A sad moment, I have to say.  I have spent a total of 15 months volunteering at La Mission Locale de Lille in the North of France, with the helping hand of Yves Bourdérou guiding me along the way. 

It has been a rollercoaster of a ride and I cannot hide the fact that it has been incredibly challenging at times, but worth every single minute.  Learning a language can be daunting and difficult.  That combined with the new skills I have learned and others that I have developed, my 15 months have been a challenge well worth accepting!!!

I have become more and more attached to the world of European Mobility.  The ability to give a volunteer an opportunity of a lifetime is just so special.  In the past 2 weeks I have been able to find projects for 2 volunteers in Turkey, one who will be going for 8 months and another for 9 months.  Another volunteer whom I’ve been working with for months had a positive reply for a project in Slovakia, where she will be for 9 or 10 months.  Another will be attending a short term project for 2 months with a project in Turkey.  How amazing is that?!

This is my last group of volunteers that I have been working with in my English workshops :

My last English workshop ever ... So obviously we had to have a mini party ;-)
A meeting with the volunteers departing on Léonardo projects
Me with the volunteers who have improved so much in English in the last 2 months
So there you go…. I’m leaving on a high as I know that I've helped some people to have a chance to go far away which will inevitably change their lives, as volunteering has my own.  I cannot count on 2 hands the number of people that have asked me when I’m going back to England .  The answer is that I’m not. I’m still loving this region and my new job is here, so why not stay ;-)

Lille is a city perfectly located between London (1h30), Paris (1h20) and Brussels (45m), as well as having easy access to Germany (3h), the Netherlands (3h) and Luxembourg (4h).  10 minutes walk from my house I also have a big park with lakes and LOTS of herons :-) So nice !!!

I’m going to head off for now.  I shall update you on how my situation is going once I’m settled into my new job.  One last thing… I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the one and only Yves.  I’m rubbish at saying personal things out loud but can write (yes it's easier on a blog for the world to see... crazy right?), so thank you so so much for everything.  My parents are also incredibly grateful for the opportunities you have given me.  These voluntary projects have opened so many doors up to me and I will be forever thankful for that :-) THANK YOUUUUUU :-D :-D :-D

Peace out ;-)  

3 comments:

  1. I will echo what Bex has said in this blog. It has been a life-changing episode in her life that has opened up so many exciting doors that she would never have been able to see otherwise. Many thanks to the team at Mission Locale and a massive thank you especially to Yves who has been a great friend and guided her so wonderfully and with such care through the whole experience. Thank you, thank you , thank you from both Angela and I! David (Bex's father)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed time to answer. Firstly because all your thanks (Angela, David and Bex) deserved that I read them thousand times so much they go straight to my heart
      and secondly ...
      because I loose my Google access code ! ;-((
      Thanks to you.
      I wish you all the happiness which you deserve. One day maybe we will meet again ... in Yarm ? ...
      Yves.

      Delete
  2. Hi.
    This is Alex and I'll be doing a Leonardo internship at the Mission Locale in Lille (sent by Everything is Possible). Can I, please ask you a few questions about your time as an EVS volunteer in Lille? My email address is (a bit scrambled, so bots won't find it :) alex_samprasno1 at yahoo dot co dot uk
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete